Sunday 10 January 2010

Tom Dooley


Even though I'm obsessed with my new guitar at the moment, I haven't completely abandoned the banjo. In fact I've been having a bit of a rethink recently and I've got New Year resolution number 2 - work on three finger picking skills this year. I've been messing around with picking but developed an annoying finger brush action which works ok with uke and guitar but really annoys me on the banjo. So I thought I try and get a more conventional action before the habit is too ingrained.

I've gone back to the Mel Bay book 'First Banjo Lessons' by Jack Hatfield, which was the first book I tried to learn from two years ago. I found the bluegrass finger picking style too difficult to manage while also trying to coordinate my left hand on the frets, but now I feel ready to give it a go.

This is a simple finger picking roll pattern and I've been working on it endlessly!

I've got myself a scanner recently so I might even start posting a bit of tab. I can't be bothered with the various tab writing programs so they'll probably be hand written.

Tom Dooley

No comments:

Post a Comment