Sunday 23 January 2011

2011 Memo to Self

Looking back at last January's blog posts and spotted a New Years Resolution post Memo to Self so I thought I should come clean on how many I've managed to keep and think of a couple of new ones for this year!

1 -No new instruments - this I did keep, mainly because I think missus NBB would have been out of the door if I'd turned up with something else - so after the acoustic guitar that's been it. But new year all that - who knows!

2- Bluegrass picking - I was all keen in January 2010 but it didn't happen, at least not in a strict sense. I can't get away with the rolling technicalities of Bluegrass. Maybe it's cos I'm not a good musician, but I find frailing or clawhammer style a bit more forgiving. And although I'm always impressed with the blazing speed of three finger style, it can still be a bit twiddly unless its done really well. I did start experimenting with a two finger pick and strum technique, which surfaced out of my frustrations with three finger style, and that's lead me down a lot of interesting new avenues.
So 50% -  I don't know if that's good or not, possibly average.
Resolutions for 2011 -

1 - I'd like to play with other musicians more. I'd like to do more with the Charmers but its a bit like getting the Stones on the road, except instead of heroin and shagging getting in the way its washing up, babysitters and nightshifts!

2 - Practice with Ben (my son whose just got a uke)

3 - Don't spend all day Sundays playing and blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment