Saturday 28 February 2009

Collins CB5 Bluegrass Banjo












After waxing lyrical about the Windsor Popular that I had on loan from Stan Gee, I thought I should give some time to my trusty workhorse the Collins CB5. It feels a bit wooly and unresponsive after playing the Windsor but as a starter instrument it hard to beat. I picked mine up on-line from the I-Muso website http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=AG00019 (see links) and at the time (Jan 08) it was £89.00. I think they are even cheaper now and the deal includes a padded gig bag as well.
I know that everyone says you should always play any instrument before you buy it, but I hadn't played anything before and music shops can be a bit intimidating if you haven't got a clue what you are doing. Anyway the price fit my budget £100 which meant I could afford a tuner as well, so I bought it unseen.I've taken the resonator off as I've been focusing on frailing techniques and it's easy to slip it back on again if I want that harsher bluegrass sound.
It's served me well over the last twelve months and it's a great instrument to learn on, also the price means that if you don't take it up you haven't broke the bank!

No comments:

Post a Comment