Thursday 26 February 2009

Windsor Popular No2













Had the loan of an excellent vintage banjo recently and have taken the opportunity to record back ups for a lot of tunes so that I can practice when I get my old Collins banjo back.

It's a Windsor Popular No2, made in Birmingham UK in the 1930s, and it plays like a dream. It's got a brass covered tone ring and the extra weight means to just sits there waiting to be played.

It's got a nice action, and I now realise what people are on about when they say it plays itself. It's come from the stable of Stan Gee www.stangee.co.uk (see links) who has a number of instruments on his website and if it's still there later in the year...

So before I take it back I recorded a version of Cripple Creek to finish off my practice tunes.

Cripple Creek (melody)

No comments:

Post a Comment