Thursday 24 September 2009

Cigar Box Ukulele

After looking at folk and homemade instruments lately I thought I'd have a go at making a cigar box uke. I've cheated slightly, as I have a knackered soprano uke that I got from a charity shop for £10, and I'm going to use the neck for my new instrument. Otherwise I've no previous knowledge of making a musical instrument. I did get the inspiration from the GUGUG guy on You Tube.
First of all I had to get a cigar box. This is a plywood one, as it's all I had. It was lined so I stripped it out as the felt would dampen the sound - if I get any!


Then detach the neck from the original uke. Not that easy without damaging it, but with a bit of careful picking and hacking away it came!

Next I marked up the location for the neck and sound hole using the top of the old uke as a template. I think I'll make the sound hole larger eventually, but first things first.

I also kept the bridge from the old uke, but I'll need to get some new machine heads as the old ones wouldn't stay in tune and it was a pig to get in tune to start with. Next I need to attach the neck and cut the sound hole - I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Dont worry I used a neck off a broken cheapo soprano too for my first one, then I eventually made a neck. Not easy but it turned out oK. Started making CB guitars too. Check out Cigar Box Nation. Losts of tips there. Cheers, Gus (gugug)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gus, think I'm going to have a rethink and replace this neck with a homemade job, also the old bridge is a bit knackered and the 4 string keeps pulling through the soft wood when it's tuned up!!!!!

    ReplyDelete