Friday 9 October 2009

More Cigar Box Uke

Or... 'Don't say I've got no neck'








I took Gus' advice and started to make my own neck! It's meant being a bit more considered than I usually am, and woodwork was never my best subject at school. But armed with workmate, tenon saw, jigsaw, chisel and rasp, it's coming together. I've bought a bridge off e-bay, as even with my new found carpentry skills, a fret saw was just too much - but it only cost £2, so hang the expense.
The original sound hole is a bit of a problem as you can see the new neck through it, but I'm thinking of perforating the bottom of a tin can to cover the hole, which should still allow resonance. I've noticed that a lot of cigar box ukes made to this design have four small sound holes instead, so maybe I'll give that at try.
Next I need to work on the head so that the tuning pegs will fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment