Tuesday 14 February 2012

Thanks Harry

Hi, Found your blog last night and thought I would write to say that I found it quite inspiring. I have not really explored the whole log as I can only connect to the net for a while in the evening when I visit my friend and I have not tried to save any pages yet to see if they still work when saved.

I bought a banjo a long time ago when I lived in Glasgow and tried to play bluegrass style but failed. I could not pick out the melody. I now live in northern Scotland and "found" my banjo again a few weeks ago and started to play again but this time in clawhammer style. I then found Patrick Costello's web pages and have become hooked again. If only the Internet had been available when I first started everything would have been so easy. The young generation are so very fortunate to have such a tool at their command I hope they appreciate it and use it. Thanks for taking the trouble to write your blog and sharing your experience with everyone.

Harry
Harry - Many thanks, its always nice to get feedback. i followed a similar route into playing banjo, but was fortunate enough to find Patrick's site just as I was getting disillusioned with bluegrass/three finger style. The hardest aprt is getting through the mechanical phase when everything sounds forced, with enough practice the strange frailing technique becomes second nature. i remember the day it happened and I watched my hand 'play' of its own accord. I ran around the house telling everyone and they were suitably underwhelmed!

Keep at it,

Andy

1 comment:

  1. the perfect description of becoming a musician, "I watched my hand play of it`s own accord" Brilliant NBB!

    ReplyDelete