Friday 17 February 2012

A Thirty Year Pause

Graham writes;
Andy,
I learnt to frail and play clawhammer banjo about 40 years ago from a man called Stan Gee. I stopped playing over 30 years ago but never quite got around to selling my Gibson Longneck or the banjo I made. About nine months ago I went to a folk night with my son in Stranraer where he lives, it was a round the room everybody either playing an instrument or singing and I was embarrassed because I couldn't play or sing. It spurred me on to start playing again and I have been enjoying playing since then. I've been back to the folk club and played and sang as my turn came around.
The main difference I have found in relearning old time banjo tunes is U Tube, it is so good at demonstrating how tunes are played. 30 years ago we had records and tablature books but live performances were pretty thin on the ground. I can now learn a tune and play along with someone on U tube. I have quite a few vinyl records that I collected at that time including records by Art Rosenbaum, Doc Bogs, Rufus Crisp, Derrol Adams, Hedy West and bands such as the deseret string band and The Fuzzy Mountain String Band.
This time around I am restricting myself to frailing and clawhammer because all those years ago I decided to learn three finger picking and I found it very difficult. I think it was this that gradually cheesed me off and eventually I gave up alltogether.
 I came across your web site while trying to find some tablature for the coal creek march. I have a version by Doc Bogs and I have heard and seen it played on Utube so I thought I would learn to play it and tab makes the job that much easier.
 Regards,
 Graham
Graham, I'm a big fan of Stan Gee he taught me too - what a fella! I've always been a bit intimidated at proper folk clubs and I've not really got any confidence in my ability to sing. I only hope, with your example in mind, that I can keep going for 40 years and still find new pleasure in the banjo and music. As I always say send me audio or video and share. Welcome back after a 30 year rest.

1 comment:

  1. You will find the tabs for Coal creek march at:
    http://banjobluegrass.free.fr/Banjo_tabs_C.html

    Harry

    ReplyDelete